Anti-Reflective Coatings (AR Coatings)
AR coatings are one of the most popular options to put on your favorite eyewear. They reduce reflections on the front and back of the lenses. This ability to reduce glare improves clarity, sharpens your vision in both day and night conditions, and makes your eyeglasses look nicer.
There are two types of AR coatings: standard and premium. It is essential to discuss the differences between the two so you can make an educated buying decision the next time you choose your eyewear.
Standard AR Coating is usually made up of two layers:
- Anti-reflective – Reduces glare from the front and back of your lenses.
- Anti-scratch – Minimizes scratches from everyday wear-and-tear.
Premium AR Coating has both features of Standard Coating but has multiple additional layers:
- Hydrophobic – Repels liquids, including water, and minimizes fogging so the lens is more comfortable to maintain and clean (and easier to wear with a mask).
- Oleophobic – Helps to repel smudges caused by the eyelashes brushing against the inside of the lens and fingerprints from handling the eyeglasses.
- Anti-static – Resists the static charge caused by wiping the lens, which prevents dust and particles from sticking onto the lenses.
- UV protection – Protects against the harmful effects of UV light from the sun and other sources.
- Blue light protection – This optional coating helps protect against damaging blue light from digital devices like smartphones, tablets, and computer screens.
In the past, AR coatings needed constant maintenance and cleaning and were prone to scratching. Also, it didn’t last very long before it started to peel. But as you can see, AR coating has come a long way.
Today, you are getting a superior product, especially with premium AR coatings. Plus, due to the many layers that go into premium coatings, it’s usually more durable and will last longer.
We are proud to offer the Crizal Alize UV and Provencia as well as our inhouse brand of AR premium coatings to fight against glare and enhance your vision. Contact us for more information.